| This dinosaur, the Sauropelta, is a valuable species.|
Sauropelta is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that originated from Early Cretaceous North America. The earliest known genus of nodosaurid, as well as one of the most well-understood, Sauropelta is unlocked by the Hammond Foundation when players first reach Isla Sorna.
The base genome of Sauropelta has a grey body with dark grey armour running down its back. Most notably it has two huge spikes on it shoulders and smaller rows of spines along its neck. It also has a beaked mouth.
Sauropelta is an unsociable animal. It lives in pairs and doesn't like other animals around it. It'll fight with other armored dinosaurs, including other Sauropelta, if the exhibit is too crowded for its liking.
Due to the number of recovered Sauropelta specimens, it is one of the best-understood nodosaurids. Like all nodosaurs, it had bony armor running from its head to its tail though Sauropelta also had unique spikes on its neck. These large spikes may have been an adaptation to ward off predators, such as Deinonychus and Acrocanthosaurus.
Sauropelta lived in the Cloverly Formation which had wide floodplains around rivers that were covered in forests. Grasses would not evolve until later in the Cretaceous, so Sauropelta and other Early Cretaceous herbivores diets would consist of conifers and cycads. It lived alongside the large ornithopod Tenontosaurus, the smaller ornithopod Zephyrosaurus, rare titanosaur sauropods, the dromaeosaurid theropod Deinonychus, and the large theropod Acrocanthosaurus.
The Sauropelta in game can be found in the Morrison Formation despite the fact that Sauropelta appeared almost 38 million years after the youngest layers of the Morrison, likely a reference to similar dinosaurs found at the Morrison Formation such as Gargoyleosaurus and Mymoorapelta .
|Fossil icon||Dig site||Quality||Number available|
|Cedar Mountain Formation||1|
- Sauropelta was the twenty-first dinosaur to receive a Species Profile on June 1, 2018. Before its official confirmation, Sauropelta was first mentioned in an official tweet.
- Sauropelta is one of the few dinosaurs in the game with no prior depictions in the franchise's media.
- Sauropelta is the least social herbivore in the game.
- Sauropelta also has the lowest maximum population of any dinosaur, well below the maximum of even the Indominus rex.
- Sauropelta is the second largest ankylosaur in the game, after Ankylosaurus.
- Sauropelta on Wikipedia